Senator Gary Peters, a Michigan Democrat and chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, plans to hold a series of hearings on artificial intelligence (AI) to educate his colleagues about the emerging technology.
The senator intends to hear from a range of speakers, including government officials, business leaders, and civil rights and civil liberties advocates, to get a comprehensive picture of AI.
Peters believes that taking the time to gather as much information as possible is crucial before considering regulation.
- Senator Gary Peters is planning a series of hearings on AI to educate his colleagues.
- The senator wants to hear from a broad range of speakers to get a comprehensive picture of AI.
- Peters introduced a bill in 2020 to educate government employees who procure AI technology.
- The senator believes that learning about the technology is necessary before considering regulation.
- Peters thinks that imposing regulation before having a complete picture of what needs to be done and where we should keep our hands off is unwise.
Artificial intelligence is a complex and rapidly evolving technology that has significant implications for society. Senator Peters’ decision to hold hearings on AI is an important step in ensuring that policymakers have a comprehensive understanding of the technology.
It is crucial to hear from a diverse range of stakeholders to get a complete picture of AI’s risks and opportunities.
While innovation is essential, regulation is necessary to ensure that AI is used responsibly and ethically. Senator Peters’ cautious approach to regulation is a wise one, as imposing regulation before having a complete picture of what needs to be done could impede innovation unnecessarily.
Source Fox News